Date Added: 23 July 2020
: 10 August 2020
Job Title: Constituency Support Officer
Working For: Margaret Ferrier MP (Rutherglen and Hamilton West)
Salary: £24,000 per annum
Margaret Ferrier MP is seeking a Constituency Support Officer to join her busy constituency office. The successful applicant will be expected to carry out the following duties:
- Deal with large numbers of standard queries from members of the public by phone, email, social media or face to face
- Draft responses to enquiries from constituents.
- Ensure accurate records are kept and information managed confidentially, in line with current data protection legislation.
- Ensure that each enquiry is dealt with promptly, sensitively, confidentially and accurately.
- Monitor and update the Member's social media, website and other online forms of communication, alongside the Office Manager/Senior Parliamentary Assistant.
- Alongside the casework team, gather relevant information to assist with resolving cases, monitor progress and ensure all identified actions are taken promptly.
- Attend constituency meetings as appropriate.
- Project work, as directed by the Office Manager/Senior Parliamentary Assistant.
The position is full-time and will be based in the constituency office in Cambuslang, although initially the role may be working from home, in line with Scottish Government guidance on coronavirus.
The successful applicant must be sympathetic to the aims and values of the Scottish National Party.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate the following essential skills:
- excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- good IT skills, including competence with Microsoft Office packages and effective use of social media platforms.
- ability to research policy issues to provide responses to enquiries from constituents.
- ability to work independently and within a small team.
- a good knowledge of current Scottish and UK politics at all levels.
- a good knowledge of the policies and political positions of the Scottish National Party.
- the ability to work in a confidential manner at all times, in line with data protection laws.
The succesful applicant may be able to demonstrate the following desirable skills:
- knowledge of local constituency issues.
- graphic design skills.
- video recording and editing skills.
- previous experience working in a politician's office.
- experience using WordPress for blogging or website updates.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 10 August 2020
Applications close at 9am, with interviews expected to be held on Tuesday 18th August (format TBC). The successful applicant would be expected to start as soon as possible.
Please send in a CV (no more than 2 sides of A4) and a covering letter (1 side of A4) to firstname.lastname@example.org, demonstrating how you meet the skills and competencies outlined above. Please note that applicants for previously advertised roles in the office need not apply.