Date Added: 2 September 2020
: 16 September 2020
Job Title: Senior Caseworker (Full time or Part time)
Working For: Abena Oppong-Asare MP (Erith and Thamesmead)
Salary: £32,000-£42,046 (dependent on experience)
Abena Oppong-Asare MP is seeking a hardworking and motivated individual to take on the role of Senior Caseworker to support her Erith and Thamesmead constituency on a fixed-term contract until March 2021. This role is based in Erith and Thamesmead, working from home dependent on COVID.
This is an opportunity to be part of a busy team dealing with the increased and ongoing demand for assistance from an MP arising from the COVID-19 crisis.
Previous experience in a similar role is strongly preferred.
• Report to the Office Manager and supervise Caseworker(s) in liaising with constituents and Government and local agencies
• Deputise for the Office Manager as and when required
• Manage and progress a varied portfolio of casework, including logging cases, taking appropriate actions promptly, monitoring progress, analysing patterns of enquiries and producing reports
• Attend Abena’s constituency surgeries and other meetings relating to constituents’ queries and casework
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge of relevant guidelines/legislation as appropriate in dealing with casework
• Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
• Previous experience of casework, ideally for an MP, as well substantial experience working and dealing with the public is essential
• Previous casework experience and knowledge of immigration, housing and welfare casework
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, with a positive and flexible approach
• Excellent IT skills including ability to use a casework tracking system (the office uses Caseworker.mp software)
• A self-starter with the ability to carry out tasks quickly and to a high standard
• Ability to manage a large and varied caseload under pressure
• Motivated to work independently as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a small team
• An awareness of the functions of a Parliamentary office
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party
• Experience of casework
• Legal or advice experience
• Full clean UK Driving Licence, desirable but not required
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 16 September 2020
We may appoint before the closing date if the right candidate is identified.
Please send your CV (no more than 2 sides of A4) and covering letter (no more than one side of A4) setting out how you meet the essential and desirable criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘<Senior Caseworker application>
Please note that, due to the expected quality of applications, evidence of desirable skills may be a deciding factor in shortlisting.