Date Added: 17 October 2020
: 2 November 2020
Job Title: Head of International Programmes
Working For: Conservative Environment Network
Salary: £35,000-£45,000 (or more for an exceptional candidate)
The Conservative Environment Network (CEN) is an independent forum for conservatives who support conservation and decarbonisation. We are looking for a driven individual to manage a programme of engagement with conservative policymakers ahead of the UN Climate Conference (COP26) in Glasgow next year. This is a unique opportunity to promote conservative approaches to climate change and accelerate global action.
In the run-up to COP26, CEN has an ambitious programme of international outreach. Our aim is to build support among conservatives for climate action, promote conservative narratives and policies around climate change, and bring together conservative policymakers from different countries to share lessons.
This role is ideal for an experienced policy or communications professional who has worked in the conservative movement, ideally internationally. The ideal candidate will be passionate about conservative environmentalism, enjoy building relationships (especially overseas), and be an effective political communicator and strategic thinker.
The successful applicant will also work with the Director and the Board to shape CEN’s international strategy for COP26 and beyond. Specifically, the appointed candidate will:
- Facilitate virtual meetings between conservative policymakers in the UK and overseas, including engaging with senior conservative politicians
- Write op-eds on conservative climate leadership in international media
- Deliver a strategic communications plan to support greater conservative climate action in the run-up to and at COP26
- Produce a global conservative climate action pledge
- Host a series of high-profile events at COP26 for conservatives
- Build and maintain a strong international network of green conservatives
- Work with the Director and the Board to develop and fundraise for a multi-year CEN international strategy
- A belief in conservative environmentalism and experience of working with conservatives, ideally internationally
- Knowledge of climate policy is desirable, but not essential
- A self-motivated individual excited about working in a small team and who can work independently
- Excellent writing skills and a strong academic record
- Excellent political judgement and an ability to think strategically
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and an ability to build extensive stakeholder networks
Closing Date: 2 November 2020
There will be two rounds of interviews. The first round will take place w/c 2nd November, and will involve a written task and a discussion of your relevant past experience. The second round will be w/c 9th November. We are looking for candidates to start as soon as their notice period allows.
Please send your CV, a covering letter, and any questions about the role to Sam Hall, Director of CEN, at email@example.com.