Date Added: 11 November 2020
: 29 November 2020
Job Title: Senior Caseworker (part time; maternity cover for minimum nine months)
Working For: James Murray MP (Ealing North)
Salary: £21,651 (for three days a week)
James is looking for a senior caseworker to join his team, working three days a week on a nine-month term contract from February 2021 (maternity cover). There may be the possibility to start sooner, take on more hours, and extend the period of employment, subject to funding.
We are looking for a candidate with excellent communication and writing abilities, and a strong understanding of how to take up and resolve enquires from constituents about local issues, such as housing, planning, fly tipping, Council Tax, PCNs, and ASB.
During the Covid-19 outbreak, the role will be based remotely from home and involve a high level of autonomous working. As restrictions are eased, the role will increasingly be based in the new constituency office in North Greenford (near Sudbury Town station).
We would like the successful candidate to be ready to help manage at least one other member of staff, and to help with constituent contact through surgeries, appointments, or coffee mornings, when Covid restrictions allow.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist with surgeries and other meetings and follow up as appropriate;
- Engage professionally, confidentially, and sensitively with members of the public, through telephone enquiries, social media, emails and face to face;
- Ensure all cases are logged in line with data protection legislation, and ensure all identified actions are taken;
- Liaise with Government agencies, voluntary sector and others to resolve cases;
- Manage a large caseload of complex cases and exercise a high level of autonomy in reaching decisions;
- Supervise other members of staff including coaching and mentoring.
- Clear understanding of how to approach casework relating to local issues such as housing, planning, fly tipping, Council Tax, PCNs, and ASB;
- Ability to deal with a large and varied caseload and to work well under pressure;
- Excellent interpersonal and ability to draft letters and emails to a high professional standard;
- Good IT skills including using a casework tracking system and MS Office;
- Motivated to work independently as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a small team;
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 29 November 2020
We intend to hold interviews via Zoom on 4 December. This job is due to start in February 2021, but we would be happy to discuss starting in January if candidates are able to do so.
Applicants should send a cover letter (max. one side of A4) and a CV (max. two sides of A4) to Lauren Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org in an email with the subject 'Senior Caseworker Application'.