Date Added: 17 December 2020
: 15 January 2021
Job Title: Copyeditor
Working For: Royal United Services Institute
Salary: £25,000 - £28,000 per annum depending on skills and experience
The Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) is the world’s oldest and the UK’s leading defence and security think tank. Its mission is to inform, influence and enhance public debate on a safer and more stable world. RUSI is a research-led institute, producing independent, practical and innovative analysis to address today’s complex challenges.
The ideal candidate would be an efficient organiser with a love of good English and outstanding written language skills. She/he will be able to identify inconsistencies, confusing metaphors and clumsy expressions, and enjoy working with colleagues across the Institute in a fast-paced and demanding role.
The selected candidate will be responsible for:
• Copyediting and proofing event marketing communications including event notifications and event e-shots.
• Proofreading and editing corporate communications on the website.
• Regularly keeping webpages up-to-date and error-free.
• Proofreading corporate email communications including newsletters.
• Editing and proofreading copy for research team webpages.
• Copyediting and proofreading information promoting multimedia on website and other channels.
• Supporting the rest of the publications team with other copyediting and proofreading tasks as appropriate.
• Excellent command of the English language with a proven ability to spot errors and inconsistencies and adhere to house style.
• A proactive and problem-solving approach with a flexible attitude.
• Ability to work across teams and independently across a range of products and tasks.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills and a friendly and diplomatic attitude.
• Strong organisational skills and the ability to work calmly and efficiently under pressure.
• Educated to degree level or equivalent.
• Experience of working in a digital communications or publishing environment.
• Experience of working with a content management system and preparing content for online publication.
• Subject-matter knowledge of defence and security.
Closing Date: 15 January 2021
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview and will be asked to undertake a short editorial test.
Recruitment to this position is ongoing and RUSI may select a suitable candidate prior to the closing date. Early application is advised.
Full details of the job specification and application process can be found on our career page https://rusi.org/inside-rusi/careers