Date Added: 22 December 2020
: 15 January 2021
Job Title: Term-time Administrative Assistant (four days per week (32 hours))
Working For: Andrew Griffith MP (Arundel and South Downs)
Location: Pulborough, West Sussex
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales.
Andrew Griffith MP is looking to recruit a term-time Administrative Assistant based in his constituency office in Pulborough, West Sussex to start as soon as possible.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, highly organised and enjoy working with a wide variety of people. Would suit someone with previous experience in a corporate environment or in a customer-facing role who now seeks the ability to combine interesting and varied work with flexibility on their hours. Previous employment working for an MP is not expected and experience of life plus a positive attitude and willingness to roll up your sleeves and learn is much more valuable than directly relevant experience.
Key responsibilities include:
• Dealing with enquiries from constituents
• Office support, mail handling, file and database management
• Liaising and arranging meetings or follow-up actions with local councils, enterprises, voluntary groups, other public organisations (e.g. South Downs National Park authority, local NHS Trusts etc)
• Assisting with a selection of constituency-based projects
• Communicate aspects of Andrew’s work to relevant audiences
• Researching constituency and West Sussex issues to support Andrew
Required skills and attributes:
• Excellent attention to detail, especially in written communications.
• Good telephone manner.
• The ability to work in a sensitive and confidential way at all times
• Good IT skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office packages and a willingness to pick up skills using new software when required.
• An ability to take the initiative and work independently & proactively to manage competing deadlines.
• Awareness of current affairs.
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party.
• As part of the role, some travel throughout the constituency will be required as well as (infrequent) evening and weekend work (for example attending relevant public meetings).
• Full driving licence and own car.
You will report to Andrew’s experienced constituency-based Senior Parliamentary Assistant and be appointed on a fixed term contract of 12 months, working during school term times only
Closing Date: 15 January 2021
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
We may appoint before the closing date if the right candidate is found.
First round interviews will take place with Andrew’s Senior Assistant and Office Manager via Zoom.
There will be a writing exercise prior to final interview with Andrew.
Interested applicants should email their CV and a one-page cover letter to Alexander Black (Office Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include ‘Constituency Assistant’ in the subject line.
Three references will be required later in the process.
Please note that due to the large number of applications, we may be unable to provide individual feedback and generic applications which do not appear to have read the brief will not even be acknowledged.