Date Added: 28 December 2020
: 22 January 2021
Job Title: Researcher
Working For: Gareth Davies MP (Grantham and Stamford)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Gareth Davies MP is looking for a Researcher to join his Westminster office. The role will help support him in his Parliamentary activities. The successful candidate needs to be a self-starter with a keen interest in politics. They will be able to exercise good political judgement, enjoy researching and writing speeches and articles, and be able to use their own initiative to start new, and add to, existing projects.
Main responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Undertaking desk research on a wide range of local and national issues to support Gareth’s parliamentary work.
• Analysing, evaluating and interpreting data on key policy issues.
• Developing and maintaining current knowledge of bills, legislation and upcoming parliamentary debates.
• Preparing detailed and well researched briefing notes ahead of meetings, engagements, parliamentary questions and debates.
• Responding to routine policy correspondence and enquires when required.
• Writing press releases for local newspapers.
• Writing content for Gareth’s parliamentary website.
• Engaging directly with a wide variety of stakeholders.
• Undertaking other ad hoc projects and general administrative duties as necessary.
• Attend events with the MP as required.
• Very strong research, analytical and writing skills are essential, and will be tested at the interview stage.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Highly organised, able to prioritise and manage a heavy workload.
• An excellent knowledge of British politics and current affairs.
• Personal initiative and a proactive work ethic.
• Personable and able to work as part of a small team.
• The ability to maintain complete discretion and confidentiality.
• Strong IT skills, especially Word and Excel.
A background or interest in economics or finance would be an advantage.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 22 January 2021
An appointment may be made prior to the closing date.
Please send a short personal statement setting out why you are suitable and a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are selected for an interview, you will then be sent a drafting task to complete prior to the interview.