Date Added: 7 January 2021
: 24 January 2021
Job Title: Researcher/ Senior Policy Researcher
Working For: Abena Oppong-Asare MP (Erith and Thamesmead)
Salary: £26,000 - £42,000 (Dependent on experience)
Abena Oppong-Asare MP is looking for someone with a strong record of policy, research and campaigning work related to her front bench role, alongside a solid understanding of parliament and the political landscape, and excellent communication skills.
• Advise on frontbench policy issues connected to Abena’s frontbench role
• Prepare and present written and oral briefings for committees, scrutinise legislation, write parliamentary questions, articles and press releases
• Lead bill scrutiny teams as required, forming opinion, discussing objectives, engaging with stakeholders, writing amendments and speech notes
• Manage projects in co-ordination with the Anneliese Dodds’ office and wider frontbench teams
• Stay up to date on latest research, discussion, stakeholder positioning, media and upcoming parliamentary business
• Undertake research on complex issues that are aligned to MP’s role and remit as Shadow Exchequer Secretary to Treasury
• A demonstrable ability to research and provide comprehensive, accurate, briefing and report writing, on complex policy issues in relation to Abena’s frontbench brief
• Demonstrable experience of influencing decision-makers, internally and externally, effectively campaigning for policy change
• Experience of monitoring information flows, staying at the cutting edge of topical issues
• Experience of engaging with and responding to policy stakeholders
• Ability to work both independently and part of a small team, initiating tasks, running projects and driving them to completion
• Understanding of Parliamentary procedures, debates, questions and legislation
• Experience liaising with media, social media, press releases and quotes
• Sympathy with Labour values and a demonstrable commitment to equality, rights and social justice
Abena champions inclusivity and diversity, and welcomes applications from candidates with diverse lived experiences.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 24 January 2021
Closing time for applications is Midnight.
Interviews scheduled via zoom, from January 27th 2021.
Start date as soon as possible but negotiable.
Please send an email with the subject line 'Senior Policy Researcher Application - YOUR NAME' to:
Please include a CV, a covering letter (one page) and a 750 word article on how businesses can recover from the pandemic.