Date Added: 2 February 2021
: 26 February 2021
Job Title: Research Intern (paid)
Working For: Index on Censorship
Salary: Real Living Wage (£9.50 across UK/£10.85 London)
Length of Contract:
Details: 0.25 FTE (10 hrs per week) for minimum of 6 months. Working hours can be grouped or spread across the week. Home-based.
Direct Report: Policy and Campaigns Manager
ABOUT THE ROLE Index on Censorship are seeking a candidate to work on a research and analysis project. The role would be ideal for someone currently undertaking post-graduate study with an interest in human rights, international relations and the use of soft power, who would like to gain experience of working for a dynamic advocacy, research and campaigning organisation.
ABOUT US Index on Censorship is a non-profit that campaigns for and defends free expression worldwide. We publish work by censored writers and artists in our award-winning magazine, promote debate through our events programme, and monitor threats to free speech through our advocacy and campaigning work. We believe that everyone should be free to express themselves without fear of harm or persecution, and aim is to raise awareness about threats to free expression and the value of free speech.
- Carry out detailed research into key threats to free speech, collecting social, political and cultural data on how nation states are leveraging soft power outside their borders.
- Assemble into an accessible and shareable format.
- Attend regular check-in meetings with the Index team
- Some experience of carrying out desk-based research or project administration/ management
- Strong research and communications skills
- Strong organisational and time-management skills
- Strong interest in, and understanding of, human rights, politics and international relations
- Commitment to Index on Censorship’s purpose and values
We are working to improve the diversity of the Index team, and welcome applications from groups which are under-represented in the charity sector.
Closing Date: 26 February 2021
Interviews will be carried out in early March via Zoom video conferencing. Start date late March/early April.
Please email your CV and a short covering letter setting out your interest in and suitability for the role to email@example.com by 5pm