Date Added: 9 February 2021
: 19 March 2021
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Royston Smith MP (Southampton Itchen)
Salary: In Line with IPSA Payscales
Length of Contract:
Royston Smith is looking for a reliable full-time Parliamentary Assistant who is keen to learn to be based in his Westminster office.
The successful candidate will:
• Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure Member is accurately informed on key issues.
• Develop and maintain current knowledge of bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc.
• Manage a busy Westminster diary.
• Ensure the Member is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the house.
• Give advice on policy issues.
• Monitor media coverage and brief the Member on relevant issues.
• Prepare and present briefing notes for press releases, parliamentary questions etc.
• Progress casework as required.
• Project Work.
• Provide generalist admin support.
• Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries.
• Undertake research, usually from readily available sources, on straightforward subjects.
• Create content and co-manage the Members social media accounts and website.
• Manage the office budget and submit all office expenses via IPSA.
• Conduct tours of the Palace of Westminster for constituents.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and attributes:
• A keen interest in British politics.
• Good organisational skills with the ability to manage a varied workload.
• Good analytical skills and close attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently and in a team.
• Excellent written and communication skills.
• Candidates should be sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party.
Candidates from non-traditional career routes are welcome to apply.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 19 March 2021
Start Date: Flexible
Interviews will be held after the closing date.
Depending on any Covid restrictions that the Speaker announces, the candidate may need to work remotely.
To apply, please email your cover letter outlining why you would be suitable for the position and your CV to email@example.com with the subject 'NAME': PARLIAMENTARY ASSISTANT APPLICATION.
We will acknowledge all applications we receive, even if we may not be able to let all applicants know whether they are successful.