Date Added: 16 February 2021
: 1 March 2021
Job Title: Communications Officer
Working For: Alex Davies-Jones MP (Pontypridd)
Length of Contract: Permanent with a six month probation period
Alex Davies-Jones MP is looking for an excellent candidate to join her team as a communications officer. This is a full-time paid position and we are looking for a candidate who is either based in London or South Wales. The role will however require home/remote-working for the foreseeable future, in line with Welsh/UK Government guidelines.
The role includes leading on social media engagement, identifying local media opportunities, and crisis communications outreach.
Tasks will include liaising with the Westminster office to deliver content for Alex’s social media profiles and website as well as producing reports detailing website and social media analytics.
The job will also involve communicating with the team across the Pontypridd and Westminster offices to ensure Alex is briefed and able to raise local issues in Parliament.
Knowledge and experience
• Produce traditional and electronic materials, including flyers, reports and surveys for use in constituent communications.
• Video-editing experience
• Proven experience and knowledge of social media growth strategies
• Ability to produce high quality written communications appropriate to the audience
• Knowledge of and interest in Welsh and UK politics
• Ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines and to adapt to rapidly evolving political situations
• Ability to self-motivate and work with/take instruction from line manager in Westminster
• Understanding of devolution, current affairs and ability to proactively source local opportunities for political representatives
• Ability to manage confidential information in line with GDPR policies appropriately.
• Ability to lead on community engagement, build relationships with individuals, constituency organisations and the voluntary party, expanding the MP’s mailing list and identifying opportunities for constituency events and campaigns.
• Experience of events management
• Knowledge and understanding of the Pontypridd constituency, its history and its challenges
• Ability to produce written communications in Welsh
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 1 March 2021
Interviews will be held over Zoom and will commence shortly after the closing date.
Successful applicants at interview stage will be required to complete a task. Further information will be made available ahead of the interview.
Start date: Flexible, but ASAP
Applicants should send a cover letter (no more than one page) and a CV (no more than two pages) to: email@example.com with the subject:
'APPLICATION - COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER - First name, Second name'
Due to an anticipated high level of applications, only those shortlisted for interview will receive feedback.
Previous applicants for this role need not apply.