Date Added: 17 March 2021
: 8 April 2021
Job Title: 2021/22 Internship Programme
Working For: Institute for Government
Salary: £24,000 per annum
Length of Contract: 12 months
The Institute for Government is currently inviting applications for our one-year 2021/22 internship programme, starting in September 2021.
We offer you the opportunity to:
• become a full member of the research team in a highly-respected institution at the heart of Westminster with close connections to government and all political parties
• take a fresh, evidence-based look at a range of issues, to improve the Institute’s understanding of problems facing government, and to help develop innovative solutions to these problems
• work with other Institute staff and external partners to deliver the Institute’s research and learning programme
• work on projects combining traditional research with practitioner and expert workshops and stimulating public and private events
• contribute to high-quality publications, presentations and events.
The precise nature of each internship will vary according to the needs of projects, but past interns have found themselves carrying out literature reviews, conducting interviews with MPs and civil servants, organising events, undertaking data analysis, presenting research findings to colleagues, writing explainers and contributing to published reports.
Working at the Institute will provide you with opportunities to change the way government works. The Institute’s excellent network and strong reputation in Whitehall and Westminster mean our work is influential; we are frequently consulted by government, invited to give evidence by parliamentary committees and asked for advice by civil society organisations seeking to understand government.
Our work offers the opportunity to make a real difference to how government functions. In recent years, for example, we have helped shape government thinking on Brexit, coronavirus and the Budget process, strengthened the impact of select committees and helped professionalise policy-making in government.
Applicants should be confident and reliable graduates with:
• an excellent academic record, including a degree/predicted grade of 2:1 or above, or international equivalent
• knowledge of or strong interest in government in the UK and elsewhere
• strong organisational, analytical and communication (both written and verbal) skills
• commitment to the values and mission of the Institute for Government.
Closing Date: 8 April 2021
Please note that applications close at 12pm (midday) on 8th April 2021.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview in the w/c 26th April 2021.
Successful candidates are provisionally expected to start on Monday 6th September 2021.
To apply for this role, please read the job application pack available on our website (https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/job/internship-programme-2021-22) and complete our online application form.