Date Added: 19 March 2021
: 9 April 2021
Job Title: Senior Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: David Warburton MP (Somerton & Frome)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: Permanent
David Warburton is looking for an experienced Senior Parliamentary Assistant to join his busy Westminster office.
The successful applicant will be entirely based in London and, alongside existing staff, support the day-to-day running of his parliamentary office.
The candidate will have an understanding of parliamentary processes and procedures and will be self-motivated, well organised, reliable and keen to undertake a variety of tasks.
Either full-time or 3/4 days a week, depending on applicant.
The successful applicant will:
- Help to draft speeches, articles, speaking notes and briefings for committees, parliamentary questions, publications and debates.
- Support the constituency-based Senior Caseworker with correspondence, providing information and advice for constituents on a range of issues.
- Liaise with government agencies, local authorities, third party organisations and others to resolve constituents’ problems.
- Identify key issues and opportunities for parliamentary questions, policy papers, speeches, interventions and articles.
- Proactively and reactively draft and pitch articles for national and local media.
- Monitor and provide up-to-date knowledge and information on Bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, debates, Hansard, etc.
- Advise and discuss policy and voting issues.
- Liaise with APPG secretariats and charities: helping to organise meetings and events, drafting agendas, booking rooms and supporting communication and correspondence.
- Meet stakeholders and visitors on the Member's behalf.
- Accompany the Member at parliamentary events, committees, APPGs, etc.
- Communicate and correspond with both internal and external contacts, responding to correspondence and enquiries.
- Support the smooth running of the parliamentary office, including telephone enquiries and general administrative support.
- Have flexible working days: e.g. working from home one day a week.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 9 April 2021
Interviews will be held in the week of Monday 12th April and the post will commence as soon as possible given the circumstances of the successful applicant.
To apply, please send a CV and a brief covering letter outlining the skills, experience and personal qualities you would bring to the role to email@example.com