Date Added: 26 March 2021
: 8 April 2021
Job Title: Senior Communications Officer
Working For: Fire Brigades Union
Salary: Salary range: £36,000 - £40,000 including London Allowance
Length of Contract: Permanent
The FBU is the voice of firefighters in the UK, representing uniformed front line staff of the fire and
rescue services. The FBU is the only recognised trade union negotiating nationally with employers on
behalf of firefighters and emergency fire control staff. FBU is supporting our members through
challenging times of public sector spending cuts and intense public and media interest in fire service
We are looking for a Senior Communications Officer to join our small busy Communications Team,
supporting the General Secretary, National Officers and the Head of Communications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develop and execute a proactive and reactive media strategy to promote the FBU and our
priorities, securing coverage in national and local media.
2. Write press releases, comment pieces, blogs, website news and articles for the FBU’s magazine.
3. Monitor and respond to news relevant to the FBU, spot opportunities to proactively secure
coverage of the FBU’s priorities.
4. Maintain and build relationships with journalists, to ensure maximum coverage of FBU key
5. Work with regional officials to secure local news coverage of issues, including press release and
media strategy support.
6. Develop a programme of ongoing media training for relevant officials and members.
7. Participate in an out-of-hours on call media service, including responding to media enquiries,
accompanying senior staff to interviews.
8. Working with colleagues, ensure that the FBU’s digital platforms are updated, maintained and
9. Engage effectively with external bodies and other stakeholders to uncover and deliver
opportunities to maximise publicity for the organisation.
10. Deputise for the Head of Communications, including the supervision of the Communications
Administrator and Campaigns Organiser.
11. Contribute to the general work of the Communications Department as required.
- Proven track record of securing positive national media coverage, gained within a political
- Demonstrable working knowledge and understanding of the Trade Union movement
- Fully conversant with all aspects of UK media and news agenda; experience of leading on and
- developing successful media campaigns
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written: able to produce high quality written material,
- media strategy, press releases and online content
- Excellent teamwork and organisational skills
- ICT literate with good understanding of front-end website management
- Relevant degree or equivalent experience/ training
- Media training skills are desirable
You must demonstrate a strong affinity with our causes and campaigns, together with a clear
commitment to our values as a grass roots Trade Union.
Closing Date: 8 April 2021
Interviews are scheduled for Tuesday, 19 April 2021.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter, outlining previous relevant experience, highlighting how you match the job requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org