Date Added: 1 April 2021
: 19 April 2021
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Alexander Stafford MP (Rother Valley)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales
Length of Contract: Permanent subject to passing probation
Alexander Stafford is looking to appoint a self-motivated, engaged Parliamentary Assistant to join his busy Westminster office.
The successful applicant will focus on the communications aspects of the office, and will have experience in running successful campaigns, growing social media following, preparing basic graphics and liaising with local and national press. A keen understanding of the Rother Valley constituency and issues faced by residents is a must for working in Alexander’s office.
- Experience of managing social media and website content to maximise reach and following. This includes preparing content and graphics.
- An eye for campaigns and experience of successfully running them
- Ability to create high quality work to tight deadlines, and managing competing priorities
- An interest in current affairs and the issues affecting Alexander’s constituency
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative party
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Analysing, evaluating and interpreting data to ensure Member is accurately informed on key issues
- Monitoring local, regional and national media coverage and briefing the MP on relevant issues
- Monitoring social media activity and reporting any relevant trends to the MP
- Preparing and presenting briefing notes for committees, press releases, parliamentary questions etc.
- Compilation of briefing packs for the MP, taking notes of meetings and drafting appropriate submissions
- Developing and maintaining current knowledge on relevant areas of parliamentary business including Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc. To include Brexit and local planning outcomes
- Westminster diary management
- Giving advice on policy issues
- Having working knowledge of relevant legislation and upcoming business including how they impact on the constituency
- Helping draft amendments for reports and preparing briefing material
- There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of normal working hours and travel for work occasionally
- Advising and ensuring the MP is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the House
- Undertaking research on relevant subjects as directed
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 19 April 2021
Initial round of interviews to take place during w/c 26th April
To apply, please send CV & Covering Letter of no more than one page to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Parliamentary Assistant Application' in the subject line.
Website: http:// www.alexanderstafford.org.uk