Date Added: 13 July 2021
: 31 July 2021
Job Title: Constituency Caseworker
Working For: Gordon Henderson MP (Sittingbourne and Sheppey)
Location: Sittingbourne, Kent
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: Permanent
Gordon Henderson MP is looking to recruit a full-time Constituency Caseworker to join his team in Sittingbourne, Kent. This role will be based in Gordon’s busy constituency office, alongside a small team of dedicated and friendly staff.
The role will be to assist individuals with issues, with which they approach Gordon for help. The successful applicant will have excellent verbal and written skills. It is essential that applicants have a good local knowledge of the Sittingbourne and Sheppey constituency and the issues it faces.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
• Dealing with queries from members of the public
• Taking phone calls and answering the office door to constituents
• Liaising with local authorities, government and outside organisations
• Gathering relevant information to assist with resolving cases
• Draft responses by letter and email on a range of policy matters and individual issues
• Monitoring progress on existing cases, ensuring all identified actions are taken and using a database to track each case
• Retain records and information confidentially in line with the Data Protection Act
• Attending surgeries and other meetings as appropriate
• Researching policies and other issues for speeches
• Tabling Parliamentary questions
• Visiting the Parliamentary office (when necessary)
• Any other constituency tasks that might arise
• Helping with constituency events relating to the MP’s work
The following skills are essential:
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with a positive approach
• Excellent IT skills including ability to use a casework system, Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word and Excel) and the internet
• Ability to draft letters and emails to a high professional standard
• Strong attention to detail
• A willingness and commitment to help people in need
• Someone who will flourish in working as part of a small team.
• Excellent initiative and motivation.
The following skills are desired:
• A full UK Driving Licence
Additional training will be provided and opportunities for progression will also be available to the right individual.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 31 July 2021
Applications will be narrowed down and those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview by email with details of a specific writing task to be completed in advance.
The start date will be arranged with the successful applicant.
Please apply by sending your CV with a covering letter explaining why you should be considered for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Constituency Caseworker Application’ in the subject line.