Date Added: 21 August 2021
: 15 September 2021
Job Title: Refugee, Asylum and Migration Policy Adviser to Caroline Nokes MP
Working For: The Refugee, Asylum and Migration Policy Project (RAMP)
Salary: £175 - £200 per day, 2 days per week
Length of Contract: rolling
We are looking for someone to join the team to serve as a policy adviser to Caroline Nokes MP, working 2 days per week. The adviser will be seconded into the MP's office from RAMP, which is a cross-party project with advisers currently working with Neil Coyle MP, Tim Farron MP, David Simmonds MP, Bishop of Durham Paul Butler, and Baroness Stroud. RAMP also serves as the secretariat for the APPG for Migration.
- Providing briefing on refugee, asylum and migration legislation, debates and policy discussions at the request of the parliamentarian.
- Supporting Caroline Nokes to draft speeches, articles and amendments.
- Arranging opportunities for Caroline Nokes to meet with those working in, or with personal experience of, the asylum and immigration system
- Where appropriate, contributing to internal policy discussions within the Conservative Party.
- Working with the other RAMP advisers to coordinate RAMP parliamentary strategy, identifying opportunities for cross-party interventions, particularly around the RAMP priority themes of citizenship, asylum and destitution and economic migration.
- Meeting with other parliamentarians, with NGOs and other organisations working on resettlement, asylum and migration policy to identify possible campaigns and parliamentary interventions.
We are looking for an organised, self-starter with the following experience, knowledge and skills:
- Experience of working in parliament or for a political party.
- Knowledge and understanding of parliamentary procedure and of the process of legislation through Parliament.
- Knowledge and understanding of resettlement, asylum and migration policy.
- Sympathy with the objectives of Caroline Nokes and an understanding of those of members of the wider Conservative Party, regarding resettlement, asylum and migration policy.
- 2+ years experience working in policy or public affairs.
- A highly proficient writer.
- Able to both think and act strategically, and to react quickly to fast-changing events.
- Able to build strong relationships quickly with a range of different stakeholders
Closing Date: 15 September 2021
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible. Interviews will take place in the week following the closing date.
Please send a CV, and cover letter (no more than 2 sides), which sets out how you meet each of the criteria listed in the person specification above to email@example.com. Please also email that account if you have any questions about the role.