Date Added: 26 August 2021
: 22 September 2021
Job Title: External Relations and Policy Manager
Working For: The Russell Group of Universities
Salary: Starting salary of £46,000-£50,000
Length of Contract: Permanent
The Russell Group, which represents 24 leading universities in the UK, is seeking an External Relations professional with policy experience to work across their Communications and Policy teams.
This permanent role involves the following:
• Lead the Russell Group’s external affairs activity, ensuring it delivers the organisation’s key priorities.
• Develop a good understanding of the Russell Group’s policy priorities and higher education policy in general so they are able to communicate confidently to a variety of audiences.
• Maintain and build on the Russell Group’s existing network of external relationships, developing new networks in sectors that can help deliver Russell Group objectives.
• Provide counsel to the Chief Executive, preparing briefings for meetings with external stakeholders and supporting policy colleagues to ensure consistent use of key messages in their outward facing roles.
• Lead on co-ordinating the Russell Group’s response to new parliamentary legislation or bills that impact our universities, lobbying MPs and Peers across all political parties, civil servants, political advisers and influential third parties
- have previous experience as a communicator and influencer
- have experience of policy development in a political or public sector environment and be able to quickly grasp complex issues and clearly communicate them.
- have strong experience in devising and delivering external relations strategies, knowing how to communicate with a range of audiences.
- have experience of working in external affairs and understand UK politics, policy development and advocacy.
- demonstrate that they can manage and prioritise a challenging and varied portfolio of work, understand the worldview of different political actors, meet tight deadlines as well as managing longer term work and work co-operatively as part of a small team.
A full vacancy description and our Equal Opportunities Monitoring form are available to download from the Russell Group website: http://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/vacancies/
We welcome applications from people whatever their race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief, or age. We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion as a core part of our values, which are stated in the vacancy description document.
Closing Date: 22 September 2021
First and second round interviews will be held remotely and are likely to be scheduled for weeks commencing 4th and 11th October 2021.
Only applicants invited to interview will be contacted. If you have not heard by 4th October 2021 your application will not have been successful.
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org :
1) Your CV (max. 2 sides of A4) including:
a. details of your current and past employment
b. your qualification(s) and relevant experience
c. two references (your current/most recent employer and a former line manager)
2) A cover letter (max. 2 sides of A4) addressing:
a. how your knowledge, skills and experience meet the requirements of the role
b. why you are interested in working for the Russell Group
3) A completed Equal Opportunities Monitoring form
For a confidential discussion, please contact Sam Eversden on 020 3816 1318.