Date Added: 26 August 2021
: 16 September 2021
Job Title: Junior Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Sharon Hodgson MP (Washington and Sunderland West)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales from £22,402
Length of Contract: One year
Sharon Hodgson, MP for Washington and Sunderland West and Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to Keir Starmer MP, Leader of the Labour Party, is looking for the ideal candidate to join her hard-working, fast-paced and committed team in Parliament to assist in her Parliamentary work.
This would be an ideal opportunity for a candidate with at least 6-9 months experience as a Parliamentary Assistant, who is looking to work for someone on the Shadow Frontbench and who is an active Member of Parliament.
The role is offered as full time but requests for flexible or part-time work will be considered.
Responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
- Researching and advising Sharon on parliamentary activity and other matters of interest;
- Assisting with the running of various All-Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs);
- Meeting with stakeholders on a variety of issues;
- Liaising on behalf of Sharon with relevant groups/personnel within Westminster and within the constituency, including liaison with outside organisations and the general public;
- Dealing with and monitoring incoming telephone and visitor enquiries, responding to emails and letters, efficient data and file management;
- Drafting political responses to constituent correspondence and keeping records on the caseworker.mp software;
- Creating exciting social media content;
- Ensuring office records are kept and an efficient filing system is in place and up to date;
- Adhering to the Data Protection Act principles and respecting the confidentiality of data at all times;
- Performing other duties as and when required.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Good working knowledge of politics and parliament;
- Excellent time management and multitasking skills;
- Confidence interacting with stakeholders and members of the public;
- Capacity to manage a high and complex workload;
- Support for the aims and objectives of the Labour Party;
- Knowledge of caseworker.mp software desirable;
- Experience producing digital content (subtitled videos etc.) desirable.
Previous experience of working for a Labour politician in Westminster is highly desirable.
Split working between the Westminster office and home would be considered.
Initial contract will be for one calendar year, pending a successful probationary period of 6 months and further review towards the end of the contract.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 16 September 2021
The deadline for applications is 6pm on 16/09/21.
Successful candidates will be asked to do a task and invited to interview on either 30/09/21 or 1/10/21. We may hold 2nd interviews on 4/10/21 if needed. If you anticipate a problem with interview dates, please make this clear when you apply.
Please send a short covering letter (maximum 1 side of A4) detailing why you are interested in the job and your CV (maximum 2 sides of A4) to email@example.com, putting PASH21 as the subject line.
Candidates will be notified by email on 23/09/21 if they have been offered an interview with further instructions.