Date Added: 6 September 2021
: 20 September 2021
Job Title: Policy and Public Affairs Adviser (Faculty of Dental Surgery)
Working For: Royal College of Surgeons of England
Length of Contract: Permanent
RCS is the professional body for surgery. Our mission is to build the future of the surgical profession and improve the delivery of surgical care. We do this through education, training, examination, supporting surgical research and providing support and advice for surgeons at all stages of their careers. This role focuses on advising the College’s Faculty of Dental Surgery, an internationally recognised professional body.
We are seeking an experienced policy and public affairs professional to advise the College’s Faculty of Dental Surgery (FDS). You will use your skills to develop public policy positions for the FDS, and public affairs strategies for influencing government. Working closely with the FDS Board and Dean, your work will help raise the profile of the Faculty’s work. Excellent interpersonal skills are required to build strong professional relationships with senior dental surgeons, and externally, with key government officials and policy stakeholders.
The Faculty’s members are specialist dentists who treat complex dental problems including advanced tooth decay, gum disease and mouth cancer. Recent campaigns have centred on the poor state of children’s oral health and the challenge of accessing specialist dental services during the pandemic. This role provides an excellent opportunity to work directly with senior NHS and political figures to improve access to dental surgery for patients.
• Developing and implementing the Faculty’s policy work. Drafting policy reports, consultation responses, position statements and briefings.
• Understanding the views and experiences of Faculty members, devising membership surveys and other research and engagement activities to engage members and ensure that policy positions are informed by insights.
• Providing advice, support and briefing to senior internal stakeholders including the Dean of the Faculty, Board members and senior management of the Faculty and College.
• Developing and implementing a best practice public affairs strategy for the Faculty.
• Supporting meetings with senior political and policy stakeholders, in line with best practice.
• Keeping abreast of relevant developments in health policy, analysing developments and updating colleagues on issues relevant to the role.
Closing Date: 20 September 2021
If you wish to apply or if you have any questions about this position please email your CV together with a cover letter to RCSHR@rcseng.ac.uk