Date Added: 10 September 2021
: 26 September 2021
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Rt Hon Valerie Vaz MP (Walsall South)
Salary: Within IPSA pay band
Length of Contract: Permanent
Rt Hon Valerie Vaz MP wishes to appoint a Parliamentary Assistant to work in her Westminster Office. The position requires a person who is highly organized and fully committed to providing support for a busy MP in a fast-moving working environment.
Brief summary of key responsibilities:
• Undertaking research
• Preparation of briefings, questions, speeches, Bills, press releases, web posts etc
• Monitoring current and future parliamentary proceedings, press and media, and keeping the MP advised and updated appropriately
• Develop and maintain working knowledge on relevant areas of parliamentary business including motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc, and giving advice on policy issues
• Support the member’s participation in APPGs and other relevant bodies
• Dealing with correspondence and enquiries
• Assist with some casework, projects and communication with constituents
• Diary management
Candidates should have:
• Excellent research and analytical skills
• Efficient inter-personal and communication skills, both written and oral
• The ability to quickly assimilate and present data and information
• The ability to write succinctly and confidently
• Good organizational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritise tasks and to meet tight deadlines
• An ability to work independently and with minimum supervision
• Proficiency in using Microsoft Office and IT generally
Candidates will also be expected to be sympathetic to the aims and objectives of the Labour Party and show an interest in current affairs.
The postholder may also be required to work outside normal office hours and undertake occasional travel for work.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 26 September 2021
Interviews will be held as and when suitable candidates apply. Only those applicants shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Please email email@example.com including your CV and a covering letter (max. 500 words) detailing your suitability for the job.
Please ensure that you include contact details for two referees, preferably one of whom should be able to provide an academic reference.