Date Added: 10 September 2021
: 6 October 2021
Job Title: Interim Head of policy (Higher Education)
Working For: The Russell Group of Universities
Length of Contract: 12 months fixed-term (maternity leave cover)
The Russell Groupis seeking an Interim Head of Policy to lead their Higher Education Policy team (12 month contract).
• Oversee and lead analysis and policy development in a range of programmes
• Line manage staff, providing coaching and support in their personal and professional development
• Draft and contribute to high quality, persuasive and evidence‐based reports, briefing papers, consultation inputs and board papers on relevant issues for a variety of audiences including government, policy‐makers and Russell Group members
• Build and maintain good working relationships with key individuals in priority stakeholder organisations, including DfE, HMT, Number 10, OfS, UCAS, QAA, OIA and the wider HE stakeholder community to inform policy development and future strategy
• Oversee and contribute to relevant Russell Group working groups including the PVC learning and teaching network, Registrars, HR Directors, Finance Directors, Admissions Directors and Quality Network.
Candidates will need to demonstrate that they can manage our policy team responsible for policy analysis in higher education funding, university finances, quality and standards, regulation, admissions and widening access. Prior experience of leading higher education policy development and regulatory/funding policy is desirable.
Applicants should demonstrate they:
• Are able to manage, motivate and develop a team
• Have an excellent track record in policy analysis and development, and strong project management skills
• Have direct experience of networking and influencing at a senior level
• Are able to communicate diplomatically in person as well as in writing.
• Previous line management experience is desirable.
A full vacancy description (including key competencies) and our Equal Opportunities Monitoring form can be downloaded from: http://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/vacancies/
We welcome applications from people whatever their race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief, or age. We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion as a core part of our values, which are stated in the vacancy description document.
The post is based in Central London. Benefits include a career average pension and generous holiday entitlement.
Closing Date: 6 October 2021
Closing time: 5pm
First and second round interviews will be held remotely and are likely to be scheduled for the last two weeks of October 2021.
Please submit the following to email@example.com:
1) Your CV (max. 2 sides of A4) including:
a. your current and past employment
b. your degree qualifications
2) A support statement (max. 2 sides of A4) addressing:
a. how your knowledge, skills and experience meet our requirements
b. your experience of managing and motivating teams
c. why you are interested in working for the Russell Group.
3) A completed Equal Opportunities Monitoring form
For a confidential discussion, please contact Paul Purcell on 020 3816 1314.