Date Added: 10 September 2021
: 29 October 2021
Job Title: Constituency Support Officer
Working For: Alan Mak MP (Havant)
Salary: £24,000 to £26,000, depending on experience. More may be available for an outstanding candidate.
Length of Contract: Permanent
Alan Mak MP has a vacancy for a full-time Constituency Support Officer based in his busy constituency office in Havant. Previous experience in politics is not essential, although experience of event organisation, project management or similar would be helpful, and the ability to learn quickly is essential.
An ideal candidate will be familiar with Alan’s constituency and/or the region, and have knowledge of local issues, but this is not a requirement.
The role entails organising a range of constituency events and projects run by Alan Mak MP including his annual Jobs, Apprenticeships and Careers Fair, Community Information Fair and Small Business Awards. The role also involves managing a range of constituency-focused engagement projects including with local stakeholders, community groups and other organisations. More information on these can be found on Alan’s website: https://www.alanmak.org.uk/constituency-projects-and-issues
* Organising large scale community events and projects.
* Dealing with standard queries from members of the public.
* Attending meetings as appropriate.
* Travelling to constituency events.
* Drafting letters to constituents.
* Assisting with administrative tasks and organising the Member’s diary.
* Managing engagement with local stakeholders, community groups and other organisations
* Excellent written and oral communication skills – and attention to detail.
* Ability to organise large-scale public events and manage projects.
* Awareness of central and local government structures, and other relevant services.
* Good IT skills, and the ability to adapt to new software.
* Highly organised, resilient and capable of working independently as part of a busy team.
* Sympathetic to the values and aims of the Conservative Party.
* Full, clean driving licence, and access to own vehicle
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 29 October 2021
Interviews will be conducted as applications are made and the appointment may be made before the closing date.
Please send a CV and covering letter, including your current and expected salary, to: email@example.com
Please include “Constituency Support Officer” in your subject line. You should also include three examples of written work (eg blog, letter, University dissertation etc) from the last 6 months. Due to the large volume of applications we will be unable to provide individual feedback, and will only contact those invited to interview.