Date Added: 10 September 2021
: 3 October 2021
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Imran Hussain MP (Bradford East)
Length of Contract: Permanent
Imran Hussain MP is seeking a Full-Time Parliamentary Assistant to join his team in Westminster to support his work as the MP for Bradford East.
- Undertake research on relevant subjects as directed, and ensure Imran is fully briefed on potential questions, press releases, varying policy areas and motions to be put to the House, and provide advice on policy issues
- Develop and maintain current knowledge on relevant areas of parliamentary business including Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc, and how they impact on Bradford
- Attend and participate in meetings as appropriate, including preparation of briefings for meetings and taking of minutes
- Undertaking project work to further Imran’s work in Parliament and in Bradford
- Assist in writing external communications for Imran
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquires from constituents and others, and progress policy casework and other casework escalated to Ministers as required
- Engage confidentially, professionally, with care and integrity with members of the public, through telephone enquiries, email and face to face
- Provide generalist admin support to support the smooth running of Imran’s office, including assisting in managing his Westminster diary
- Undertake efficient data and file management to ensure the office complies with the data protection legislation
- There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of normal working hours and travel for work occasionally
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong research ability with a keen curiosity and acute attention to detail
- Strong time management and able to produce high-quality work under pressure, prioritising tasks as appropriate in a fast-moving environment
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal day-to-day direction.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office
- Understanding of the current UK political landscape
- Sympathetic to the aims and objectives of the Labour Party and be politically aware
- Previous experience of working in Parliament is desirable
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 3 October 2021
Interviews week commencing 11 October 2021. Start date as soon as possible.
To apply for this role, please email a copy of your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Parliamentary Assistant - Your name' as the subject line.