Date Added: 14 September 2021
: 27 September 2021
Job Title: Speech Writer
Working For: Ofgem
Salary: £46,250 - £58,324
Length of Contract: 6 months
Ofgem works on behalf of energy consumers to ensure that every household and business in the UK can rely on a safe, affordable and environmentally sustainable energy supply. We are playing a vital part in accelerating the transition to Net Zero and a carbon neutral energy system. Whatever your role, you’ll be playing your part in creating new energy solutions that are great for customers, and great for the environment.
Speechwriting is a challenging and high-profile function. You must have very strong written and spoken communications skills and be comfortable dealing with senior people. This is a fantastic opportunity for a dynamic, well organised, and creative communicator to work as a Speechwriter for the CEO of Ofgem. You will plan, develop, and deliver high-quality written drafts and copy tailored to audiences, be able to translate complex policy into punchy prose that is easily understood, as well as finding the newsworthy headlines from policy or operational programmes. You must be able to take feedback and amendments on your work from multiple stakeholders and pick out salient facts from a mass of information to suit the target audience.
Being able to negotiate diplomatically to meet your objectives is essential.
• Confidentially provide the CEO with clear advice on speeches and produce clear compelling, well-argued products and evaluate their impact on audiences.
• Adapt your writing to capture the voice of the CEO, working with private office and Deputy Director for Media and External Affairs to adapt messages to the best style for different audiences.
• Develop and maintain strong working relationships with the CEO, senior officials and EXCO as well as the comms team to ensure a streamlined speechwriting process by agreeing a clear strategy for delivery and ensuring that this is recognised across Ofgem.
• Work effectively with the wider comms team, to integrate with media activity around speeches.
• Work closely with colleagues across Ofgem to develop proposals that can be announced in line with the CEO expectations.
• Take increasing responsibility for Ofgem’s evolving narrative and promoting this narrative across Ofgem.
• Understand Ofgem’s brief so you can communicate key messages clearly accurately and creatively to relevant audiences.
Closing Date: 27 September 2021