Date Added: 14 September 2021
: 18 September 2021
Job Title: Constituency Assistant
Working For: Ruth Cadbury MP (Brentford and Isleworth)
Salary: In line with IPSA banding
Length of Contract: Fixed term contract for 6 months, with possibility of an extension.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Analyse patterns of enquiries and produce reports
- Assist surgeries and other meetings and follow up as appropriate
- Critically analyse patterns of enquiries and articulate the findings in reports and communication with the MP and other staff members
- Deal with large numbers of standard queries, as well as assisting on more complex cases from members of the public by phone, email, social media, or face to face. Ongoing communication may be required
- Draft responses to constituents
- Ensure records are kept and information managed confidentially in line with the data protection legislation
- Ensure that each case is dealt with promptly, sensitively, confidentially, and accurately in accordance with the MP
- Follow up on social media queries and comments
- Gather relevant information to assist with resolving cases
- Log all cases; monitor progress and ensure all identified actions are taken
- Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
- There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of the normal working hours and travel for work occasionally
- Work closely with the caseworkers to help progress cases Skills required
- Previous casework experience and knowledge would be helpful
- Ability to deal with and prioritise a large and varied caseload, and to work well under pressure
- Ability to manage expectations of constituents in sometimes challenging circumstances
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Good IT skills including using a casework management system and MS Office Applications
- Ability to draft letters and emails to a high professional standard
- Be willing to undertake training
- Motivated to work independently as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a small team
The following skills are desirable:
A strong interest in politics and current affairs, supportive of the values of the Labour Party. Having local knowledge of the constituency
We are keen to employ, and would welcome applications, from groups currently underrepresented in the Houses of Parliament such as BAME communities and people with disabilities.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 18 September 2021
Interviews are most likely to take place on Friday September 24th. With a start date as soon as possible, once security cleared.
The post will be 30 hours a week based at home working during the covid period and, when permitted, flexible working between home and the Westminster office.
Ruth Cadbury is a constituency focused MP; due to the increased demand she is looking for additional support for her and her caseworkers during this busy period. The successful candidate will provide advice and support to Ruth’s constituents on a range of issues, including housing, welfare, and immigration.
Please send your CV (no more than 2 pages) and one page cover letter to email@example.com