Date Added: 14 October 2021
: 29 October 2021
Job Title: Caseworker (2 roles: full time and part time maternity cover)
Working For: Luke Pollard MP (Plymouth Sutton and Devonport)
Location: Plymouth - combination of office based and remote working
Salary: £21,529 pro rata
Length of Contract: Permanent // 8 months maternity cover
Luke Pollard is looking for two enthusiastic and organised individuals to fill two roles as constituency caseworkers:
1. One full-time on a permanent contract
2. One 30 hours p/week, on an 8 month contract as maternity cover
The pandemic has tripled the number of requests for help that Luke is receiving. This is an opportunity to be part of a busy team dealing with the increased and ongoing demand for an MP's support arising from the COVID-19 crisis.
Luke was elected as the Labour and Co-operative MP for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport in 2017. He is an active local MP, campaigning on issues like transport and tower blocks, as well as being Labour’s Shadow Environment Secretary.
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing and progressing a varied portfolio of casework, including logging cases, taking appropriate actions promptly, monitoring progress.
- Drafting enquiries to government agencies on behalf of constituents.
- Policy research on complex issues.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of relevant guidelines/legislation as appropriate in dealing with casework
- Competent use of IT including casework management systems, Microsoft Office package, email, internet.
- Accompanying the MP to advice surgeries, currently running remotely, and visits in Plymouth when virus restrictions allow.
The successful applicant would have:
- Strong written, communication and analytical skills with a good telephone manner and attention to detail. Excellent command of written English is required to produce high quality correspondence, representing the MP in letters and emails.
- Experience of keeping professional notes and accurate records.
- Ability to carry out tasks quickly and to a high standard.
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills.
- A good knowledge of Luke’s campaigns, Plymouth and the far South West
- Ability to work independently, show initiative and work well as part of a wider team, demonstrating a positive and flexible attitude.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 29 October 2021
Both applications close 10am on closing date
Candidates will need to be available for the first and second round of interviews on w/c 8th November 2021
Full time role
Start date will be 6 December 2021
Part-time maternity cover
Start date will be 10 January 2022.
End date will be 9 September 2022.
Accepted applications should include:
• Covering letter (max 1 side of A4, normal margins) explaining how you could fulfil this role and why you would like to work for Luke Pollard MP with brief details of your most recent experience.
• An up to date CV (max 2 sides of A4, normal margins).
• Contact details of two referees and confirmation of any notice period you would need to give if in current employment.
Please apply by email with the subject line "Caseworker Application - YOUR NAME" or "Caseworker Application - Maternity Cover - YOUR NAME" to firstname.lastname@example.org