Date Added: 21 December 2021
: 7 January 2022
Job Title: Researcher
Working For: Simon Jupp MP (East Devon)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: 12 Months
Simon Jupp MP is looking for a Researcher to join his Exmouth office.
The full-time role is focused on supporting Simon’s constituency and Select Committee activities. The successful candidate needs to be a self-starter with a keen interest in politics. They will be able to exercise good political judgement, enjoy researching and have an interest in Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) and Transport policy.
They will have first-class writing skills and be able to use their own initiative to start new, and add to, existing projects.
Main responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Undertaking desk research on a wide range of local and national issues to support Simon’s parliamentary work.
- Analysing, evaluating and interpreting data on key policy issues.
- Developing and maintaining knowledge of Transport and DCMS policy.
- Preparing detailed and well researched briefing notes ahead of meetings, engagements, parliamentary questions, media interviews and debates.
- Responding to routine policy correspondence and enquires when required.
- Engaging directly with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Undertaking other ad hoc projects and general administrative duties as necessary.
- Attend events with Simon as required.
- Very strong research, analytical and writing skills are essential, and will be tested at the interview stage.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Highly organised, able to prioritise and manage a heavy workload.
- An excellent knowledge of British politics and current affairs.
- Personal initiative and a proactive work ethic.
- Personable and able to work as part of a small team.
- The ability to maintain complete discretion and confidentiality.
- Strong IT skills, especially Word and Excel.
The following skills are desired:
- A full UK driving license
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 7 January 2022
Interviews will take place either before or shortly after the closing date. We would like the successful candidate to be able to start as soon as possible.
Please send your CV and covering letter explaining why you are right for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org