Date Added: 22 December 2021
: 17 January 2022
Job Title: Public Affairs Officer (Scotland)
Working For: Cancer Research UK
Salary: Up to £26,000 per annum
Length of Contract: Permanent
We need you to act as Cancer Research UK’s primary contact in the Scottish Parliament, providing a full-time public affairs presence to: manage a full Scottish Parliament engagement programme, including acting as secretariat for the Cross Party Group on Cancer; regularly brief elected members; monitor parliamentary activity and share intelligence; link with cross-cutting central office activities; support development of nation-specific communications and materials including assistance with policy development; and represent the charity at external meetings and in external coalitions.
What will I be doing?
- React swiftly to parliamentary business, briefing as appropriate and using tools such as parliamentary questions (PQs) where useful
- Manage production of local public affairs and campaigning materials for elections and wider political engagement
- Meet and brief MSPs individually as required
- Manage rolling MSP contact programme including shop and/or centre visits, regular mailings and individual or group meetings
- Act as secretary to the Scottish Parliament Cross Party Group on Cancer
- Manage party conference attendance programme, including budget, print and logistics
- Create and deliver social media engagement strategies for devolved nations
- Support influencing activity on policy priorities
- Lead policy development projects when required
- Work with other third sector organisations in areas of mutual policy interest
- Develop and maintain a policy priorities and messaging portfolio
What skills are you looking for?
- Good understanding and experience of the Scottish Parliament (or one of the devolved nations)
- Demonstrable political interest and judgement, with commitment to neutrality and ability to work across the political spectrum
- Ability to quickly understand, summarise and analyse complex (policy) issues and distill for a range of internal and external audiences
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to adapt style to different audiences
- Strong organisational skills and experience of managing a complex workload, with tight deadlines and often changing priorities
- Good influencing skills and confident managing challenging stakeholder relationships, including in coalition
- Adaptable self-starter with the ability to work remotely and in self-directed way as part of a larger team
Closing Date: 17 January 2022
Advert will close 11:59.
Please apply here:
Application method: Please complete the anonymous application form and attach a covering letter, making sure all of your experience is included so that we are able to effectively shortlist.
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org