Date Added: 11 January 2022
: 26 January 2022
Job Title: Policy Assistant (0.6 FTE)
Working For: Afzal Khan MP (Manchester, Gorton)
Salary: IPSA Research Band 2 (£23,839 - £36,374, pro rata, with an expectation to appoint in the bottom half of this salary band)
Length of Contract: 12-month fixed term contract with the opportunity to extend
Afzal Khan is looking to appoint a Policy Assistant (0.6 FTE, Monday-Wednesday) to join his team supporting his role as Shadow Minister for Legal Aid. This role will be based in Westminster.
The role will involve drafting speeches and parliamentary questions, stakeholder engagement, research and briefing, and drafting press releases and social media content.
Applicants should have a strong interest in issues related to justice and access to justice.
• To support and advise Afzal Khan MP in his frontbench role as Shadow Minister for Legal Aid
• Responsibility for written and verbal briefing for Afzal Khan MP on justice issues.
• Attend and participate in meetings related to justice issues as appropriate.
• Develop and maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
• Responsibility for drafting communications including speeches, Parliamentary questions and press releases related to justice issues.
• Undertake research on relevant subjects as directed.
Essential skills, experience, and attributes
• Keen and demonstrable interest in justice policy and access to justice.
• Experience of policy development and research.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with accuracy and attention to detail.
• In sympathy with the aims and values of the Labour Party.
Desirable skills, experience and attributes
• Degree in law, social policy, politics or related discipline, or relevant professional experience.
• Knowledge of parliamentary process, business, and legislation.
• Experience in legal aid policy.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 26 January 2022
Provisionally Thursday 3rd February and Tuesday 8th February 2022 in Westminster, to start as soon as possible.
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org including a CV (no more than two pages), a covering letter (no more than one page), and a short statement (no more than 300 words) on the impact of legal aid cuts.
If you have any questions, please contact Tom Williams on email@example.com