Date Added: 12 January 2022
: 17 January 2022
Job Title: Casework and Administrative Assistant
Working For: London Borough of Hackney
Salary: £17.21 per hour
Length of Contract: To May 2022 (secondment cover)
- Recording, logging and handling enquiries.
- Liasing with officers across the Council to ensure they respond to enquiries within the agreed deadlines and standards.
- Editing draft responses, to ensure that they address all relevant points, to a high standard of English.
- Ensuring that residents are given correct information on the progress of their enquiries.
- Maintaining an electronic filing system, ensuring confidentiality.
- Dealing with complex correspondence on behalf of the Mayor and Cabinet.
- To be willing to function as part of a team, providing a wide range of administrative support.
- To develop effective working relationships with other service areas.
- To develop a good knowledge of the front facing services offered by the Council.
- To be politically sensitive and able to recognise and respond appropriately to a range of sensitive issues.
- Ensuring that the Council’s Health & Safety and Equalities Policies and agreed Codes of Practice are observed.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Investigative skills and methodical approach to dealing with enquiries
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate tactfully with a wide range of residents, council staff and others and draft routine correspondence
- Ability to undertake research and information gathering on particular topics.
- Excellent IT skills and the ability to use computerised office systems including Google Suite
- Ability to organise and prioritise duties and work flexibly as part of a team, working calmly and effectively under pressure
- Recent successful experience in an administrative position.
- Experience of successfully organising and prioritising workload, and managing conflicting priorities.
- Experience of dealing with members of the public
- Experience of maintaining effective office systems
- Awareness and understanding of the effects of discrimination and exclusion against certain groups, and effective mechanisms for promoting inclusion and equality of opportunity
- Experience of working in a similar environment with officers and politicians
- Experience of dealing with sensitive and confidential issues
- Experience of drafting correspondence
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POST IS POLITICALLY RESTRICTED UNDER THE TERMS OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND HOUSING ACT 1989
Closing Date: 17 January 2022
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a written test prior to being invited for a telephone interview. Start date by agreement from week commencing 24 January 2022.
To apply, please submit a CV and short covering letter showing how you meet the requirements of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.