Date Added: 7 May 2022
: 19 May 2022
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: The Rt Hon Jonathan Ashworth (Leicester South)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: Fixed Term 12 months/until next General Election
Jonathan Ashworth MP is seeking an enthusiastic, hard-working individual to join him in his Westminster office and support his team in Leicester. This is a full-time role where you will be responsible for key areas of the MP’s office including social media, diary management and engaging with stakeholders. The post would suit a recent graduate or someone looking to gain valuable political and office-based experience in a Shadow Cabinet Member’s office.
This is a challenging role supporting Jonathan as shadow Work and Pensions Secretary and MP for Leicester South.
- Act as diary manager for the MP, arranging meetings and organising visits and events
- Produce content for all social media channels, including drafting copy and video editing
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquires
- Assist in writing external communications including press releases, speeches, website and social media updates, parliamentary questions etc.
- Monitor local, regional and national media coverage and brief the MP on relevant issues relevant to the constituency and national campaigns
- Prepare briefings and press releases for local and regional media.
- ·Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the MP is accurately informed on key issues
- Assist with policy research as required and keep on top of stakeholder campaigns
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with experience of writing on policy or political topics
- Highly organised, with experience managing multiple priorities or projects
- Ability to conduct high-quality desk research and analysis at pace
- Able to handle multiple competing demands and very short deadlines
- Able to write effective political copy for social media, website and other digital channels
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Excel and various social media platforms. Desirable to have experience of video editing software (e.g. Adobe Premiere)
- Interest in Labour Party campaigning
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 19 May 2022
Interviews: Thursday 26th May
Start Date: As soon as possible, to be negotiated
You are required to submit a written task, to show your research and written communication skills.
Write a short update (300 words) for Jonathan Ashworth’s constituency newsletter on his recent campaigning around foodbanks.
Submit the task, with a supporting statement, no more than one side, explaining why you suit the role and want the job, and a CV, no more than two sides, outlining relevant experience, skills, qualifications, and knowledge, to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: PARLIAMENTARY ASSISTANT APPLICATION)