CIPFA is looking for a politically savvy communications professional to join its busy communications team.
The communications officer plays an important role in helping promote CIPFA’s voice to key stakeholders, supporting a programme of planned media and public affairs activity. As CIPFA’s communications officer, you’ll be responsible for communicating CIPFA’s position on everything from council tax and NHS funding to climate change and anti-corruption.
We are looking for a skilled writer who can translate often complex and technical policy ideas into accessible articles and content for a wide audience. A large part of the role will be writing for various publications and websites, so you must be adept at working with ambiguity, coming up to speed on policy quickly and understand what makes a good story.
Key duties include:
- developing and implementing press and public affairs strategies to promote CIPFA’s voice and thought leadership;
- drafting press releases, reactive statements and long-form articles;
- creating and monitoring digital content for CIPFA’s social media channels;
- contributing to the production of CIPFA’s podcast (securing and conducting interviews, editing audio segments, etc.);
- responding to media inquiries and identifying opportunities for comment;
- supporting senior CIPFA staff and council members by preparing briefing material and speeches.
The ideal candidate will likely have some press office or public affairs experience either in-house or through an agency.
We’re looking for excellent writing skills, confidence when working with deadlines and most importantly someone who is a team player. Knowledge of or interest in public policy and public services would be a distinct advantage, as would a willingness to get to grips with some of the complexities of public finance and translate them into impactful messages.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking to develop their career as a communications professional in a public sector or professional services-oriented environment.
CIPFA is a forward-looking organisation and has developed a modern and progressive approach to flexible working. The location for the role will be dual location at both home and our London office, attendance to be agreed according to business need.