Date Added: 17 June 2022
: 24 June 2022
Job Title: Political Chief of Staff
Working For: George Freeman MP (Mid Norfolk)
Salary: In line with IPSA Pay Scales
Length of Contract: Permanent
George Freeman, MP for Mid Norfolk & Minister for Science, Research & Innovation, is seeking a Political Chief of Staff to help co-ordinate his work in Parliament and Westminster.
With 3 members of staff working effectively in the Mid Norfolk constituency office, the key elements of this role are:
- Working closely with George on political and comms strategy, including liaison with Ministerial private office & external science, technology and innovation investors, businesses, entrepreneurs & SRTI commentators & media; here & abroad.
- Co-ordinating George’s political and parliamentary correspondence and liaison with other MPs, CCHQ, Think Tanks and Government Special Advisors
- Comms, Media & Social media: co-ordinating GF’s non-Ministerial comms including Newsletters & Bulletins
- Supporting George with his non-Governmental projects (2020 Conservatives, Big Tent Festival, Reform for Resilience Commission)
- Managing the Westminster office/relevant admin/contact lists and non-departmental VIP liaison
- Liaison with the constituency team on issues which George needs to handle each week
Applicants will need to have experience of working in this role for a senior figure in politics or public policy in the UK before. Experience of the internal workings of parliament/Whitehall, as well as of the rhytms and cycles of the parliamentary year, is essential.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and attributes:
- Strong political antennae, judgement & feel for working effectively in the Westminster world
- Exceptional written, oral & digital communication skills
- Proven ability to work successfully and happily in a team and at times solo
- Highly organised manner with the ability to manage and prioritise a large and diverse workload
- The ability to work to tight deadlines calmly and while under pressure
- Personal initiative, commitment and a strong, proactive work ethic
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills
- Adept at using Microsoft Office, social media platforms and digital comms
- Support for the values, aims and mission of George Freeman MP, the Government & Conservative renewal.
The successful applicant could be at any stage of their career – from a senior Westminster EA/Parliamentary Secretary to an ambitious, young graduate with relevant experience.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 24 June 2022
Interviews will start shortly after the closing date.
The role will be full time (42 hours weekly contracted with flexibility as required for effective support during Parliamentary sittings). The successful candidate will ideally start as soon as possible – and no later than September 1st
Applicants should email a Cover Letter and CV to email@example.com, with a description of their current and past roles, as well as some information about their interest in the position.