Date Added: 22 June 2022
: 8 July 2022
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Heather Wheeler MP (South Derbyshire)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: Fixed term (initially 12 months) three or four days per week
Mrs Wheeler is looking for a part-time Parliamentary Assistant to join her busy team based at the House of Commons.
The successful candidate will be pro-active, with strong communication, IT and inter-personal skills. The role of Parliamentary Assistant requires a can-do attitude and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
The Parliamentary Assistant will be working alongside the Senior Parliamentary Assistant in Westminster and regularly liaising with the Constituency team. The main part of the role is drafting policy casework and would be suitable for a graduate looking for their first role in Parliament or someone doing further studies.
The job will also involve:
• drafting responses to a wide range of correspondence from constituents
• logging cases and data entry;
• managing and progressing workload independently;
• carrying out research into a variety of local, national and international issues as required;
• providing briefings and reports for the Member;
• working on the Member’s website;
• drafting press releases and campaign updates;
• Undertake research on relevant subjects as directed;
• Monitor social media activity.
The successful applicant will have:
• excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• a pro-active approach, a positive attitude with the ability to work as part of a busy team and to tight deadlines;
• strong attention to detail and an ability to prioritise a demanding workload under pressure
• strong IT skills
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 8 July 2022
Interviews are likely to be during the last two weeks in July and the start date is the 5th September 2022.
Please apply by email to Heather.email@example.com with your CV and a one page covering letter with “Parliamentary Assistant Role September 2022” in the subject line.