Date Added: 22 June 2022
: 5 July 2022
Job Title: Climate Researcher (UK)
Working For: DeSmog
Length of Contract: 6-month contract (with the possibility of extension)
DeSmog is looking for a researcher to work with our small but ambitious team of journalists.
You will be responsible for keeping our database of climate deniers and delayers up to date, drafting new entries and identifying and writing news stories.
DeSmog is an award-winning investigative journalism outlet. Our disinformation databases are a go-to-resource for policymakers looking to scrutinise the powerful actors working to obstruct climate action.
The Researcher role sits within the UK team. Full details of the job can be found here.
DeSmog values diversity and aims to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times. We welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and particularly encourage applications from Black, Asian, and minority ethnic candidates.
- Gathering and analysing data on the flow of climate misinformation and its sources online
- Drafting and updating database profiles for individuals and organisations in DeSmog’s public databases
- Summarising the content of news articles, reports and broadcasts in clear, concise, accurate language and documenting sources
- Identifying and writing news stories that reveal vested interests behind climate policy opposition
- Contributing to investigations by DeSmog UK’s news team
- Analysing and interrogating database entries for story-gathering purposes
- Other ad-hoc research and project support tasks, as required by the team
- 1-2 years experience in a relevant field such as research, policy or journalism
- Proven interest in climate and environmental issues
- Excellent written English
- Ability to be pay close attention to detail and complete repetitive tasks (such as scanning documents and accounts)
- Proactive attitude and a willingness to learn new skills
- Good interpersonal skills and excellent team working ability
- Ability to work well independently
- An enthusiasm for and commitment to DeSmog’s core values and mission
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks to deadline
- Undergraduate or Masters degree in an environment-related subject
- Journalism qualification
- Online research skills, including advanced Google Search methods
- Basic data analysis skills, including in Excel
- Working knowledge of HTML
- Experience of working with WordPress
Closing Date: 5 July 2022
Interviews: 13 July 2022
Start date: ASAP
To apply, send a CV with a cover letter of no more than two pages explaining how your skills and experience meet the criteria to email@example.com with the subject header “Researcher post”.
Please include your potential start date and a maximum of two writing or research samples.
Any shortlisted candidates will be contacted on or before 7 July to be invited for interview. These will take place on Wednesday 13 July.
The deadline for applications is midnight on 5 July 2022.