Date Added: 5 August 2022
: 29 August 2022
Job Title: External Engagement Officer
Working For: The Office of the Children's Commissioner
Salary: £34,031 - £37,494
Length of Contract: 12-24 months
This is an external facing role with responsibility for managing relationships with parliamentarians and external stakeholders. You will explore ways to develop our relationships with stakeholders, keeping in close touch with them to promote our agenda and be informed about theirs.
You will also keep up to date with political changes and current affairs, being able to provide responses to Oral Parliamentary Questions and briefings for MPs.
Whilst the post holder has specific responsibilities, as a member of a small team it will be necessary to become familiar, through time, with other associated aspects of the work of the Office in order to provide cover for colleagues during busy periods and absences. The postholder will be proactive and willing to contribute to the overall performance of the team.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Keeping MPs, think tanks, charities and third parties informed of the OCC’s work
• Draft guidance on OCC’s work to support Select Committees in their work
• Facilitate relationships between the OCC and key stakeholders in Whitehall and Parliament, including implementing a plan to significantly boost the awareness of the OCC’s work across Parliament
• Work with the Senior Communications Officer to identify and track external engagement within the office
• Building relationships with cross-Party MPs
• Be aware of all legislation relevant to the OCC’s work as it moves through Parliament in order to provide support to the Office and liaison where appropriate
• Third Party and MP briefings on topics related to the work that the OCC is undertaking; framing our policy and research reports into appropriate briefings for MPs and other key stakeholders.
• Preparing responses to Oral Parliamentary Questions
• Providing regular updates for MPs, including producing a newsletter detailing the current work of the OCC
• Organising visits with MPs to keep them informed of the OCC’s work
• Maintaining a database of MPs and their office contacts, updating and recording changes as necessary
• Brief the Commissioner and wider team on political developments
• Attend meetings and events on behalf of the Commissioner, often outside of normal working hours
• Organise events and engagement with policy makers within Whitehall and Westminster
Closing Date: 29 August 2022
Interviews for short-listed candidates are expected to take place during the w/c 12 September 2022. Successful candidates may also be required to attend a second interview w/c 19 September 2022.
To apply please visit https://www.childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/about-us/vacancies/ and send a copy of your CV, statement of suitability, candidate information form and the Equality and Diversity form to email@example.com by midnight Monday 29 August 2022.
Your statement of suitability should be no more than 500 words and should set out how you meet the essential skills and any relevant experience to the key duties of the role.
Applications will be sifted against the requirements set out in the essential skills/experience listed in the job description.