Do you want to work in one of the most interesting, varied and fast-paced departments in Whitehall, advising Ministers and writing tomorrow’s news headlines?
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is looking for a Press Officer to join its mission helping improve people’s lives through free and fair trade in the UK and around the world.
The role is challenging and wide-ranging, from crafting punchy press products, to supporting ministerial visits and interviews, or briefing journalists on breaking news stories as they happen.
You will be part of a busy and enthusiastic press office team who work closely with Special Advisers, Private Office and policy officials on reactive and proactive media.
As a member of DIT’s Press Office team, you will play an active role in building support for our Free Trade Agreements, promoting UK exports and investment, and protecting the department’s reputation.
You will also be encouraged to spot opportunities for positive features, and human interest stories from across the UK to land positive stories in consumer media and regional titles, including in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland media.
This is a chance to join a department breaking new ground as it tackles issues and takes opportunities all around the world.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Be part of a team who plan and deliver communications that cut through both at home and abroad on Ministerial events such as domestic and overseas visits, speaking engagements and interview opportunities.
• Handle reactive enquiries and rebuttals effectively, including briefing senior political and economic journalists on the phone to shape tomorrow’s news.
• Craft first-class content for social media platforms for the Department’s ministers and corporate channels.
• Support on high-profile Free Trade Agreements and general work of Press Office – including participating in an out-of-hours duty rota, for which you will be paid overtime.
• Monitor and evaluate coverage to ensure objectives are being met and DIT’s key messages are landing well with our key audiences.
Apply before 11:55 pm on the closing date.
Sift will take place week commencing 29/08/2022.
Interviews will take place week commencing 12/09/2022.