Date Added: 3 September 2022
: 27 September 2022
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Kate Osborne MP (Jarrow)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales (£25,500-£37,466 pro rata)
Length of Contract: 12 months
Kate Osborne MP is seeking a Parliamentary Assistant to join her Westminster office.
The successful candidate will support Kate in her Parliamentary duties and undertake policy research and the preparation of materials for parliamentary business, public events and the media. They will also assist in the administration of her Westminster office and with communications.
The ideal candidate will be highly organised with strong communication skills and attention to detail, and able to work on their own and as part of a team.
Experience of working in Parliament and/or a good working knowledge of Parliament is preferable.
Occasional evening or weekend work and/or travel to the constituency may be required.
The successful candidate will:
• Provide briefings on parliamentary business and relevant political issues as directed.
• Draft parliamentary questions, amendments to legislation, Bills, and speaking notes for debates.
• Ensure the MP is fully briefed on potential questions, motions and legislation to be put to the House.
• Prepare briefings for meetings with politicians and stakeholders.
• Assist in writing speeches and external communications.
• Be responsible for diary management and provide administrative support (such as managing the MP’s email, organising meetings, managing databases etc).
• Liaise with the constituency office over casework as required.
• Help maintain a social media and online presence.
• Assist with the preparation of press releases for local press.
• Strong political knowledge, understanding and judgement.
• Strong research and analytical skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent organisational, time keeping and administrative skills with the ability to prioritise tasks.
• Ability to work independently, show initiative and work well as part of a wider team, demonstrating a positive and flexible attitude
• Good knowledge of key communications software is desirable.
• Experience of working in a busy office environment.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 27 September 2022
Closing time: midday.
We would be seeking to interview as soon as possible following the closing date, ideally 21st or 22nd September with a start date mutually agreed but preferably within a short timescale.
To apply, please complete the below application form and send with your CV with the subject "Application for the post of Parliamentary Assistant" to: email@example.com
The application form can be downloaded here:
Applications that do not complete the application form will not be considered.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
13/09/2022 - Closing date extended to 27th September