Date Added: 17 September 2022
: 30 September 2022
Job Title: Senior Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Tonia Antoniazzi MP (Gower)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scale. Part time (22.5 hours/3 days).
Length of Contract: 6 months
Tonia Antoniazzi MP is looking for a confident and dynamic person to work in her Westminster office. The ideal candidate will be well organised with outstanding research, political, communication and will understand and promote the aims and values of the Labour Party. Experience of working in Parliament or a political environment is strongly desired.
The main responsibilities include:
• Supporting Tonia in her Parliamentary duties, including Bills, Parliamentary Questions, debates and maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of relevant business
• Supporting Tonia in her work with external partners and in her shadow ministerial role
• Drafting press releases, articles, speeches and amendments
• Briefings, research and analysis as required to prepare for speeches, meetings, interviews and articles
• Managing media enquiries, monitoring media coverage and briefing Tonia on relevant issues
• Effective liaison with the constituency office
• Responding swiftly and courteously to correspondence and enquiries, both over the telephone and by email.
• Other duties which may be assigned on an ad-hoc basis for cover for staff absences
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
• High level and verbal communication skills
• Sound research and analytical skills
• The ability to prioritise a demanding workload, meet deadlines and work under pressure
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to show initiative in working independently, but be a vital member of a close-knit team
• A strong level of proficiency in IT
• Attention to detail
Any offer of employment is subject to reference checks and passing the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO).
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 30 September 2022
Interview: 6th & 7th October 2022 - will be in person at Westminster and will involve a practical test.
Please send CV of no more than two pages, plus a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Westminster Application – YOUR NAME as the subject line.
In your supporting letter, please discuss how you will support Tonia in her work on Northern Ireland, the BEIS committee and the Council of Europe and on her other interests; medicinal cannabis, women in sport and women’s rights.
Due to large volume of interest, we will only be able to contact candidates who have been successfully shortlisted for this role.