Date Added: 17 September 2022
: 2 October 2022
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Afzal Khan MP (Manchester, Gorton)
Location: Whalley Range, Manchester
Salary: £21,529-32,022 (IPSA Executive Band 1, pro rata)(part time, 0.6 FTE)
Length of Contract: 12 months, possibility of extension
Afzal Khan is looking for a caseworker (part time, 0.6 FTE) to join his team based in the constituency. The role covers a broad range of casework, but will be mainly focused on problem-related casework.
Training will be provided as needed. The role may require some flexibility on working hours.
Key responsibilities include:
- Handling large numbers of standard queries, as well as assisting on more complex cases from members of the public by phone, email, social media, or face to face.
- Getting to know and understand local issues, so that local knowledge is reflected in case handling.
- Gathering relevant information to assist with resolving cases, contact appropriate external stakeholders as appropriate.
- Drafting responses to constituents.
- Ensuring that each case is dealt with promptly, sensitively, confidentially, and accurately in accordance with the MP.
- Logging all cases; monitor progress and ensure all identified actions are taken.
- Ensuring records are kept and information managed confidentially in line with data protection legislation.
- Retaining records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act.
- Attending surgeries and other meetings as appropriate.
- There may also be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of the normal working hours and travel for work occasionally.
Work days are flexible, but must be able to work on Friday.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as be a team player.
- Have some experience of working with members of the public.
- Have an ability to take the initiative and work proactively to manage competing deadlines, to prioritise tasks and work independently.
- Have an excellent attention to detail, especially in written communications.
- Have the ability to work in a sensitive and confidential manner at all time
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Office packages.
- Experience as a caseworker for a Member of Parliament.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 2 October 2022
Interviews provisionally to take place in the week commencing 10 October 2022, with a sucessful candidate to start as soon as possible.
Please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com
If you have any questions, please contact Tom Williams on firstname.lastname@example.org