Date Added: 20 September 2022
: 5 October 2022
Job Title: Constituency Assistant
Working For: Catherine McKinnell MP (Newcastle North)
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scale (£21,529 - £32,983)
Length of Contract: 12 Months with possibility of extension
Catherine is looking for a highly motivated individual with excellent organisational and communication skills to join her team in Newcastle North. The role will involve supporting Catherine in her work with constituents and stakeholders. The position will be based in Catherine’s busy constituency office. Part-time/flexible working or a job share would be considered for the right candidate(s).
• Drafting constituency correspondence, including assisting with queries and concerns by phone, email, social media or face to face.
• Liaise with external agencies to resolve matters on behalf of constituents and others.
• Gathering relevant information to assist with resolving cases, including liaising with external organisations and government departments.
• Monitoring progress of cases and ensuring all identified actions are taken.
• Assisting with the preparation of briefings and communications, including press releases.
• Supporting research on complex policy issues and assisting with the production of reports.
• Assisting with analysis of patterns of enquiries and articulation of the findings in reports and communication with Catherine and other team members.
• Monitoring relevant media.
• Supporting the analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of data to ensure Catherine is accurately informed on key issues.
• Assisting with the organisation and running of constituency surgeries and other meetings.
• Other tasks as directed to support the smooth running of the Constituency Office.
Key Skills and Experience
• Strong IT skills including ability to use Microsoft Office;
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal with a keen attention to detail;
• Good organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise and work to deadlines;
• Knowledge and experience of working in a political environment or studying Politics or a related discipline would be an advantage;
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 5 October 2022
A first stage of virtual interviews will be held during the week commencing 10th October 2022.
Final stage interviews will be held in the week commencing 17th October 2022, with a view to starting as soon as possible.
To apply for this post, please e-mail a one page covering letter and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with CONSTITUENCY ASSISTANT– YOUR NAME in the subject line.