Date Added: 21 September 2022
: 21 October 2022
Job Title: Policy and Operations Manager
Working For: Labour for the Long Term
Location: Remote working with events and meetings in Westminster
Salary: £35,000 - £50,000 (FTE pro rata)
Length of Contract: Fixed term (1 year) with hope to extend
Labour for the Long Term aims to help Labour develop policies that ensure a resilient and sustainable future. Our policy areas include:
- Pandemic prevention
- Climate change
- Emerging tech
- Nuclear conflict
We are hiring someone to help establish and oversee the organisation. This will be on a consultancy basis, one year fixed with strong prospects for renewal.
The post-holder will work closely with our committee to develop a strategy, identify opportunities for growth and reach out to MPs.
The role is 3-5 days a week with room for flexibility.
As we are a new organisation, there is some leeway in shaping the role, which will include:
- Organisation building: setting up systems to ensure the smooth running of LLT, including stakeholder management, social media strategy, briefing templates and organisational structure.
- Research: commissioning, writing and editing policy briefings for MPs on our priority policy areas.
- Communications: maintaining regular emails to stakeholders, social media and the website.
- Working with the committee to build strong relationships with MPs.
- Organising events in Parliament and at party conference
- Assisting with administrative duties including financial reporting.
- Self-starter: flexible, willing to learn and take your own initiative.
- Passionate about the policy issues: aware of long-term policy priorities and motivated to make a difference.
- Political or policy experience: e.g. in an MP’s office, think tank, civil service, public affairs or NGO.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- A willingness to perform more typically ‘senior-level’ tasks, e.g. representing the organisation and setting a strategy, as well as more typically ‘junior-level’ tasks, e.g. running the website and editing briefings.
- Supportive of the Labour Party.
- Relevant policy expertise
- Experience of policy research
- Experience of working with MPs
We are especially keen to receive applications from groups which are under-represented in Westminster, including women, ethnic minorities and marginalised communities.
Closing Date: 21 October 2022
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a virtual interview and asked to prepare a presentation and complete a written task of <500 words.
Start date: as soon as possible after interviews
Please see the full job description on our website: https://www.labourlongterm.org/job-ad
Then fill in this application form: https://forms.gle/2r9zJCc3yPcmHuBm8
Please apply by 11pm on 21 October 2022