Date Added: 12 November 2022
: 2 December 2022
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Alberto Costa MP (South Leicestershire)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: Permanent
Alberto Costa, Member of Parliament for South Leicestershire, is recruiting for a Parliamentary Assistant to join his team based primarily in the Westminster Office, but the role may also require occasional work in Alberto’s South Leicestershire Constituency Office.
The role will require you to work as part of Alberto’s busy Parliamentary and Constituency teams – assisting with diary management, general administration, secretarial duties, Parliamentary business, constituency matter, general office duties and helping the MP’s team wherever necessary.
The role would be well suited to a highly motivated team player with a keen eye for administrative detail and an interest in Parliamentary and political affairs.
The successful candidate will have the following:
• Ability to carry out tasks to a high standard, with a clear and concise writing style.
• Excellent organisational, interpersonal and administration skills.
• Strong communication and IT skills (including social media).
• A methodical approach to record keeping.
• A keen interest in current affairs with a good knowledge of key social policy issues.
The job description includes, but is not limited to:
• Effective management of both the Parliamentary and Constituency diary.
• Responding to constituents, stakeholders and others in a professional, courteous and timely manner
• Managing the central inbox, both email and post, and providing general administrative support to the office.
• Communicate with constituents clearly and sensitively over the phone.
• Ensure cases and all correspondence, including campaign emails, are dealt with in a sensitive and confidential manner.
• Competent use of IT including casework management systems and Microsoft Office.
• Meet and greet visitors to Parliament.
• Maintain a good knowledge of current affairs and relevant guidelines/legislation and how they may affect constituents.
• Monitor media coverage, liaise with media and prepare press releases when required.
• Provide relevant briefings on a range of local and/or national matters.
• Assist with the work of other colleagues as required.
Candidates should be sympathetic to the Conservative Party aims and policies.
The role may also require some flexibility on hours and occasional evenings (by arrangement in advance).
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 2 December 2022
Depending on the applications received, it is expected that interviews will take place shortly after the closing date for this position.
Start date is to be confirmed and will be discussing further at the interview stage.
Candidates should send an email attaching a CV and cover letter specifying how you meet the requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Parliamentary Assistant’ as the subject.
Please detail any notice period, and ensure all documents regarding your application include your full name in the document title i.e. ‘<Full Name>_CV’.
Candidates will be notified via email as to whether they have been shortlisted for interview.
Due to the high volume of expected applications, we will only be able to provide feedback to those candidates who have been shortlisted.
23/11/2022 - closing date changed to Friday 2nd December