Date Added: 15 November 2022
: 5 December 2022
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Layla Moran MP (Oxford West & Abingdon)
Location: Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Salary: £21,529 to £26,000
Length of Contract: Permanent
If you are keen to make sure that people in Oxford West and Abingdon have an effective advocate of local issues in Parliament and you have a practical approach to helping people, then we would like to hear from you.
Layla's small casework team handles a huge range of constituency matters and are focused on making sure that constituents’ issues are actioned.
We are looking for a full-time caseworker with excellent written and oral skills, with a flexible, can-do attitude. We often have high volumes of emails or queries so the ability to manage priorities and your own workload is key.
The caseworker role involves liaising with a wide range of stakeholders our local communities, local authorities, not for profit organisations and with individual constituents. Queries can be about immigration, cost of living issues, education, mental health services, the environment, local infrastructure issues as well as government policy issues.
The casework team are the people supporting the MP and the constituents. A knowledge of local issues would be helpful but a willingness to learn is more important. The role can be challenging but is a great opportunity to make a real difference to people from all sorts of backgrounds and help constituents in real need.
The caseworker role requires dealing with constituents’ matters on a wide range of issues and this includes:
• Drafting letters/emails and corresponding with constituents about their matters on behalf of Layla
• Providing information, advice and support over the telephone, via e-mail and letter
• Liaising with Government departments, local authorities, and other stakeholders and organisations
• Maintaining accurate entries on our case management system
• Undertaking some policy & research work
• Aiding Layla at constituency surgeries and visits
• Adhering to Data Protection, Confidentiality and GDPR protocols
• A flexible, can-do attitude
• Able to prioritise and manage a caseload, work independently and to be able to deal with competing demands
• Competent in the use of IT applications
• A good level of English and the ability to draft replies tailored to a constituent’s needs
• Willingness to work as part of the wider team
Some evening/weekend work may be required in exchange for time off in lieu
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 5 December 2022
Start Date : early January 2023
To apply, please e-mail your CV and a covering letter explaining what difference you could make to the people Layla represents, and why you would be suitable for this position to:
Please include “Caseworker Job Application” in the subject line of your email.
If you require clarification or further information, please contact Layla's constituency office on 01235 522 535.