Date Added: 22 November 2022
: 6 December 2022
Job Title: Parliamentary Researcher/Research Assistant
Working For: Jacob Young MP (Redcar)
Location: Redcar or London
Salary: Ipsa pay scales - band 2
Length of Contract: Fixed Term Contract (initially six months).
Jacob Young MP is looking for a Parliamentary Researcher/Research Assistant to join his busy office. The role will be based in either Westminster or Redcar, depending upon the location of the successful candidate.
The role will focus heavily on drafting policy-related correspondence, alongside other research-orientated tasks to assist Jacob and other members of the team as required.
This Fixed Term Contract will initially last for six months, with a view to extension.
Candidates should have the following attributes:
- Strong written and oral communication skills and confidence interacting with, and advocating on behalf of, a wide range of people.
- Excellent research skills.
- Highly organised, able to prioritise and manage a busy and diverse workload.
- Personable and able to work as part of a small team.
- Commitment to collaborative working.
- High attention to detail.
- The ability to work with sensitivity, with strict adherence to data protection legislation.
- Draft and send responses to a wide range of political and policy-related issues.
- Develop and maintain current knowledge on relevant areas of parliamentary business including Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc.
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the MP is accurately informed on key issues.
- Assist with drafting speaking notes and briefing materials as required.
- Action and resolve constituency casework as required.
- Lead research tasks.
- Attend meetings and events with, and on behalf of, the MP when required.
- Retaining records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act.
- There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of normal working hours and travel for work occasionally between Redcar and Westminster.
Applicants must be sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative and Unionist Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 6 December 2022
Interviews will be considered on a rolling basis with the position being filled before the closing date if the ideal candidate is found. The successful applicant will be starting shortly after being offered the position.
Applicants should send a CV and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions applicants may have about the role should be directed to the same email.
Please also state your desired work location of either Westminster or Redcar when applying.