Date Added: 23 November 2022
: 27 November 2022
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant/ Senior Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Rt Hon Alun Cairns MP (Vale of Glamorgan)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: Permanent
Rt Hon Alun Cairns MP is looking for a hard-working and motivated Parliamentary Assistant to join his office in Westminster.
• Good political awareness and judgement.
• Excellent organisational skills and a self-starter
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, with an attention to detail
• Strong research, analytical and IT skills
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative and Unionist Party
Responsibilities could include:
• Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure Member is accurately informed on key issues
• Assist in writing external communications including speeches for the MP
• Assist with casework as required
• Attend and participate in meetings as appropriate
• Compilation of briefing packs for MPs, take notes of meetings and draft appropriate submissions
• Develop and maintain current knowledge on relevant areas of parliamentary business including Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc.
• Diary Management
• Efficient data and file management to ensure the office complies with the data protection legislation
• Engage confidentially, professionally, with care and integrity with members of the public, through telephone enquiries, social media, email and face to face
• Give advice on policy issues
• Have working knowledge of relevant legislation and upcoming business including how they impact on the constituency
• Help draft amendments for reports and prepare briefing material
• Maintain positive on-going relationships with all parties including members of the public, groups, suppliers and Westminster where required
• Monitor social media activity and report any relevant trends to the Office Manager/MP
• Progress casework as required
• Provide generalist admin support
• Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries
• There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of normal working hours and travel for work occasionally
• To advise and ensure the MP is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the House
• Undertake research on relevant subjects as directed
• Management of IPSA
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 27 November 2022
Soon after closing date, in Westminster.
Please submit your CV, with a cover letter, to Alun.email@example.com