Date Added: 24 November 2022
: 6 January 2023
Job Title: Parliamentary Internship
Working For: Andrew Griffith MP (Arundel & South Downs)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales (Employed Interns)(20 hours a week)
Length of Contract: 12-month fixed
Andrew Griffith MP is looking to recruit a part-time Parliamentary Intern based in his Westminster office for 20 hours a week.
This role will be based in Andrew’s office in the House of Commons but with the constituency having good proximity to London there is scope for staff to join interesting visits to communities in West Sussex.
This is a fantastic entry level opportunity to start a career working in politics and develop skills across a range of responsibilities within a hard-working but friendly office, ideal for those currently at University. The role is flexible to suit those potentially still studying or combining with other interests.
The role will report to Andrew’s Chief of Staff. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic and be able to communicate well, particularly in writing.
Key responsibilities include:
- Supporting Andrew with drafting policy responses to constituents.
- Keeping up to date with parliamentary business.
- Attending meetings with and on behalf of Andrew.
- Managing some constituency casework.
- Supporting the running of Andrew's local campaigns.
- Undertaking research and drafting briefings as required on subjects relevant to Andrew’s constituency and policy interests.
- Ensuring correspondence records are kept adhering to GDPR requirements and respecting confidentiality at all times.
Required skills and attributes:
- Excellent attention to detail, especially in written communications.
- The ability to work in a sensitive, discreet and confidential manner at all times.
- Good IT skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office packages and a willingness to pick up skills using new software when required.
- An ability to take the initiative and work independently & proactively to manage competing deadlines.
- Awareness of current affairs.
- A knowledge of Arundel & South Downs (or West Sussex) is preferred but not essential.
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 6 January 2023
Interviews will be conducted in Westminster (or virtually if absolutely necessary) on a rolling basis.
We may appoint before the closing date if the right candidate is found.
There will be a work-related exercise prior to the final interview.
Interested applicants should email their CV and a one-page cover letter to Josh Funnell (Chief of Staff) at email@example.com
Please include ‘Employed Intern’ in the subject line.