Date Added: 19 January 2023
: 5 February 2023
Job Title: Research Assistant
Working For: The Productivity Institute - The University of Manchester
Location: Manchester or Virtual
Salary: from £28,762 pro rata per annum (0.5 FTE)
Length of Contract: 3 months for 0.5 fte initially with possibility to extend (up to 1.0 fte)
The Productivity Institute (TPI) brings together world-leading and UK experts from a range of disciplines and backgrounds, working directly with policymakers and businesses to better understand, measure, and enable improvements in productivity across the whole of the UK, with the aim to improve living standard and well-being.
Work with the Managing Director/Principal Investigator of TPI to support research and project management
Location: Manchester or virtual (in the latter case, frequent meeting at the Institute’s HQ in Manchester/meetings with the Director in London).
• Support the Director in research and other project activities, including literature reviews, data mining and analysis, writing support, prepare slide decks for presentations, and undertake background research for the monthly podcast series Productivity Puzzles.
• Coordinate Director’s work with the Institute’s Researchers and Programme Support team and as required.
Research Skills Requirements:
• A Master degree or equivalent experience within a social science subject area.
• Research experience in an academic setting and knowledge of developments in relevant policy and practice areas.
• Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods, evaluation research, literature reviews;
• Summarise and analyse data using appropriate methods independently.
• Experience of drafting research papers, presentations, etc.
Project Management Skills Requirements:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to convey technical material in non-technical terms
• A high standard of IT literacy including MS Office (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint);
• Attention to detail and highly developed organisational skills;
• Able to manage own work/research on a day-to-day basis;
• Able to prioritise workload and manage time;
• Able to work to tight deadlines.
Interpersonal skills Requirements
• Self-motivated and able to work flexibly either independently without close supervision or as part of a team;
• Able to reflect on their work, their impact on other team members, the way they carry it out and suggest improvements within the team where necessary.
• Willingness to perform a wide range of tasks as directed and as required;
• Willingness to undertake further training.
Closing Date: 5 February 2023
Interviews will take place shortly after closing date.
To apply please send your CV with a personal statement detailing how you meet the role requirements to TPI-Applications@manchester.ac.uk
For an informal discussion, please contact Prof. Bart van Ark, Professor of Productivity Studies and Managing DIrector of The Productivity Institute (email@example.com).