Date Added: 24 January 2023
: 24 February 2023
Job Title: Constituency Assistant
Working For: Tom Randall MP (Gedling)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales (currently £21,529 – £32,983)
Length of Contract: Permanent
Tom Randall, MP is looking to appoint a full-time Constituency Assistant to his team to help with the running of a busy constituency office in Gedling.
The Constituency Assistant will be responsible for helping constituents who come to Tom for help. You will need to have excellent verbal and written communication skills and ideally have a background in clerical work, but relevant training will be provided.
Duties and responsibilities include:
• Acting as the first point of contact for constituents; taking phone calls and answering the office door
• Opening, handling and actioning email and post
• Dealing with queries from members of the public
• Handling administrative arrangements for meetings with members of the public/MP surgeries
• Filing, record-keeping, typing correspondence and managing large mailshots
• General office administration and support
• Local media monitoring
• Assisting the Senior Caseworker with casework, surgeries and other meetings and following up as appropriate
• Getting to know and understand local issues so that local knowledge is reflected in case handling
• Gathering relevant information to assist with resolving cases
• Retaining records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
• Drafting responses to constituents
The following skills/characteristics are essential:
• Organisational, case management and time management skills
• An appreciation of the importance of attention to detail and a thorough approach to completing all tasks
• Excellent communication and written skills
• Friendly, approachable and ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to manage a busy workload and balance competing priorities effectively as well as adopting flexibility in your approach
• An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and discretion in your work
A short written test will be given at the interview stage. No preparation will be needed.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 24 February 2023
To be confirmed
Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com using the subject line 'Constituency Assistant Application'.